Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Mac and Cheese



I really love mac and cheese. Now, I'm not talkin' bout the kind that comes in the blue box, I'm talkin' bout the ooey gooey homemade kind like gramma used to make. The real deal, which is thick, rich and delicious. Something to raise your spirits on a dreary day at the end of February.

The kind I make is a white sauce with cheese poured over macaroni and topped with a little paprika. Best served with a side of sausage. A midwestern meal made in heaven, or at least our Ukranian Village kitchen.

I once asked around about what kind of wine to serve with this. OK a lot of wags suggested Boones farm wine. I'm sure they pair well, but the serious suggestion was a nice Riesling, which really brings out the flavor of the cheese, or at least a nice buzz. A Gewurztraminer might do the trick as well.

That's Noel in the picture chopping cucumber. She's introduced me to the wonders of vegetables, and makes a dynamite salad. I tried taking some pictures of the mac 'n' cheese, but real food is notoriously tough to photograph. Besides, she's better looking.

By Jesse

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't remember grandma making mac n cheese. I do remember spaghetti, apple pie, chocolate chip pie,cookies, christmas dinner, thanksgiving dinner, potato salad, and the book where you could pick out the cake she would make for your birthday. One time Mike and I went to their house for a fish fry after grandpa caught an obscene number of blue gill from Delavan lake. Mike still talks about that being the best fish fry he has ever had....come to think of it I think he fell in love with me for my grandmother's cooking. Now if I could only live up to her legacy. XOXO Julie

Anonymous said...

Fresh caught pan fish fried nicely! It's hardly worth cooking them unless you have an obscene amount. Only a couple bites, but what wonderful bites they are. Brings me back to summers spent in the N. Kettle Moraine. What is it about fish fry that is so uniquely Wisconsin?

The sight of fantasia salad instantly reminds me of granny. Can anything based primarily on Cool Whip truly be considered a salad? I hope so.